July 25, 2011

Emily's Renaissance Outfit

Cute and she knows it. :-)

Fabric
Shirt: leftover kona muslin form my renn. top
Vest: leftover fabric from a skirt I made a while ago
Skirt: Brown sheet type stuff that was given to us
Grommets we had, elastic we had, and lacing we already had.

All in all, a pretty inexpensive adventure. :-)

Pattern
I made up the skirt, drafted the shirt form a drawing, and made the vest by shrink the ladies vest from Simplicity 3809.



I don't remember the fine detail of the vest shrink, but I measured Emily and then redrew the pattern on paper.  Then I modified some lines and made a mock-up.  It fit well, so I basically followed the pattern's directions for lining the vest and it was done!  I did not put any boning in it, but I did put a double layer of cord in the very front to add stability to the grommets.
For the skirt I sewed 6 rectangle that were each around 17 inches wide together, hemmed it, and made a casing for elastic at the waist.  Simple.
For the shirt I looked at the diagram drawing of the off-the-shoulder blouse in the same pattern (Simplicity 3809).  Basically the front and back pieces are rectangles with the upper corners cut off and rounded.  The sleeves were a full sleeve looking pattern with the tops cut off in a straight line.   I then sewed a casing on the inside and sewed the elastic into it when I sewed the ends together.  So the sleeves were sewn the the "rectangles" and the top edges of everything were turned under to make a drawstring casing. :-)  Clear as mud?  Yeah, I thought so.  Oh for a computer drawing program.  Soon. :-)  Very soon.
I LOVE the way it looks from the back.
Here she is wearing another skirt underneath it and it got bunched up in the back.  I think it actually makes it look nice. :-)


Gathering and arms=not so even
Oh, and don't forget to hem your sleeves and the bottom of your shirt. :-)
Lacing.

Ta Da!

No comments:

Post a Comment