December 11, 2012

A Puzzle ❙ time well spent


I'd had a burst of inspiration.  I finally knew what I was going to do with my dress and I wanted to get sketching right away.  I was busy and I was going to go hole myself up in my "studio" when a little voice piped from behind the loveseat:

"Hey, Jo, do you want to help me with my puzzle?"



Her back was turned and she couldn't see my shoulders droop and feet drag towards the exit.  She couldn't hear my thoughts saying "no, not now Emmy I'm busy.  Some other time." 


She didn't see my grimace as I realized what I would be missing.  She couldn't see my petulant face and repentant heart, she was still concentrating on finding that one special piece.


I realized that my little sister is days away from her 8th birthday.  What with my school and hers if I blinked I would miss her whole life.  I would wake up one day and a young lady would be my roommate, not the little girl I was so used to telling how to spell words while we wrote our various things late into the night or sang songs to and hugged during the thunderstorms.


I knew I should treasure this time I have with her.  Savor her crazy obsession with the candy cane striped socks with the fur on them and the crazy santa's elf hat she wears to hide that she hasn't brushed her hair and it's a rats nest.

I should remember the way the fire feels warming my back and the sound of her voice as she says "I've got another one" thirty times over.  I should never fail to encourage her with a "good one!" or "yeah!"


I don't want to ever put things above people.  I want to invest in people, and especially my siblings.  



And besides, I do love a good puzzle. 


 So I replied,
"Sure Emm, I'd love to."

2 comments:

  1. Way to go! I need to remember to do that more often with my son...glad you are learning this lesson early! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a powerful post, Joanna. How many times do I put my own schedule, my own projects and plans, before my family? These moments are so fleeting--thank you for encouraging us to live fully in the moment and invest in what really matters.

    -Abigail
    www.AltogetherSeparate.com

    ReplyDelete