June 6, 2013

Live Your Summer




Summer.

The memories of days spent sewing and creating; the soft breeze that flows over the lake; the rustling of leaves; the thunderstorms; the gentle rain and the smell of cut grass; the books devoured on the swing or picnic blanket or couch under a fan; the meetings with friends; the crazy adventures to water parks; the grilled meals eaten on the deck; the mosquitos and fireflies; the dancing in the back yard at twilight when no one is around; the singing of merry songs; the exhaustion after a competitive sport; the sweat and laughter; the heat that emanates from sunburned arms and face; the sweet taste of lemonade; the sun floating through the tress; the girls in bright colors; the flowers that grow; the laundry on the line; the light blue sky; the harsh shadows; the meeting of new friends; the reunions with family; the anticipation of tomorrow, these are things I remember about summer.

It's hard for me to let go of things like this.  I savor those moments when I can remember exactly what something was like.  The taste, the feel, the smell, the sound, and the look bring me straight back and I remember.




This summer is different. I can no longer fly on a whim or pick up and just go.  This summer,

  • I'm in school. 1 Test every 2 weeks, or at least that's the plan.  Every minute should be spent productively.
  • I'm working.  I have to be places at a certain time and be engaged.
Because this is my life for the next couple years I've been struggling with burnout.  I study, study, study , and do, do, do but never get anywhere and am never finished.  I live in the past with my memories or I live in the future with my plans.  This is no life.



But guess what guys!  I'm learning to live.

I know, I know, eat, drink, sleep and you'll live.  But it's so much more.  I'm not living for tomorrow anymore.  Sure, I make plans and I have goals and trips I'm looking forward to but I'm not living for them.  I'm living now.  It has been a crazy journey to come to this point and I'm not sure I've completely arrived but God has been changing me little by little.  He's showing me what really matters.  Of course I "knew" before, but this is so different.  It's part of my being now.  I can't escape it.  It isn't locked away in my brain anymore but starting to flow through my hands and feet.  How cool is it to watch God work; to change a sinner like me?!  It's crazy folks.

My calendar is chalk full of activities and deadlines and get-togethers, but I can truly say with Martin Luther that “There are two days in my calendar: This day and that Day.”  I want to live like there's no tomorrow.  I want to invest in people now.  Jim Elliot said "Wherever you are, be all there."  That quote has changed my life in so many practical ways.



That Day (rapture/eternity) is coming, and I don't have time to not slow down.  I don't have time to not take the time to love someone. Does that make sense?  When I realized that I almost fell over.

Life is beautiful guys.  Life is fleeting.  Life is busy.

Sometimes, you've just got to be still.

Be still and know that He is God!

Then get off that couch and go change your world!

Right about... NOW.   Yup, now is the time.

Go MAD! (Make a Difference)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your inspiring words!

    Blessings,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete