June 30, 2013

What's your name?



I was listening to KLOVE in the car the other day and the song "Hello my name is" by Matthew West came on.  It, particularly the second half, has been stuck in my head ever since:

Hello, my name is child of the one true King 
I’ve been saved, I’ve been changed, and I have been set free 
“Amazing Grace” is the song I sing 
Hello, my name is child of the one true King 
I am no longer defined 
By all the wreckage behind 
The one who makes all things new 
Has proven it’s true 
Just take a look at my life 
What love the Father has lavished upon us 
That we should be called His children 
I am a child of the one true King


How cool would it be if when we introduced ourselves, this is what people would see!  Have you thought about that?  I'm sure you've thought about how people see you and what they think of you.  Everyone does.  Why else do you comb your hair in the morning?  Why do you walk a certain way or say certain things?  We're always self evaluating how people see us.  How do people se ME? 

I do it all.the.time.  "Instead of how do they see me?" I should be asking "do they see Jesus?"

Did they notice that my outfit is impeccable today, or did they see Jesus helping that little girl tie here shoes? 

Did they admire my earrings or did they see my eyes sparkle when I told them my little sister got saved on Saturday?

Did they complement my voice, or did they see that all the dishes were done?

Did they see your average 19 year old, or did the see a child of God?


I'm done with self.  I'm done with masks.  I'm done with facades.  
I'm saved.  I'm changed.  I'm free.  Amazing Grace is my song.

In the words of the popular Sunday school song, "This little light of mine, I'm going to let it shine."  When I say "Hello, my name is Joanna..." I want people to see Jesus.  I want them to see I'm different. 

I want them to see a child of the one true King.

"Do all things without grumbling or disputing, that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, holding fast to the word of life, so that in the day of Christ I may be proud that I did not run in vain or labor in vain."
Philippians 2:14-16

1 comment:

  1. That song has been stuck in my head all day. :) God bless you!

    Katelyn

    ReplyDelete