August 21, 2012

Mahogany Knit Cardi-Wrap








Pattern: Simplicity 2603 view A
Fabric: Beautiful knit fabric from Joanns.  Sorry, I have no clue what it is but it reminds me of a bamboo knit.  It was pretty expensive so it actually could have been...I got it with a coupon though. :-)

Anyway, now for my sob story.  I got this pattern years ago and always thought it looked classy.  I got it out shortly thereafter to experiment with the tank portion of it.  That turned out to be a bit of a fail but what do you expect when you make a knit sized pattern with fabric that doesn't stretch AT ALL?  Yup, never doing that again.


Well, when I needed a very versatile sweater, or "jumper" as they call it, to take to London with me I splurged on some really nice fabric and dove in.  Much to my chagrin I found that I had missplaced the back, sleeve, and cuff parts of the pattern.  Thank God I still had the important front piece!  Anyway, after some deliberation I decided to wing it and make it anyway.  So.  I used one pattern piece and some of the directions from this pattern. :-)


You cut two identical front pieces which join at the base of the neck.  There are some puckers because I wasn't sure how to size the top edge of the back piece that I made up.  Thankfully this is a knit project and you can barely see the mistakes I made and  places I stretched to make the made-up-sleeves fit with the made-up-back.  :-)  Gotta love it.


As cute as the shorter version combined with 3/4 sleeves was I was bringing this along for warmth so I made it long and put long sleeves on it.  I'm so glad I did.  I wore it almost everyday before I left and then for the first 7 days of the trip.  It was cold and rainy you see. :-)


As you can see there are many, MANY, ways you can wear it.  My favorite is the left one above.  Twisted twice and tied in the back.


And yes, I did take these picture right after I took the ones for the skirt in the previous post. :-)



This is so incredibly comfortable and now my Mom wants one. :-)

2 comments:

  1. Oh, that is so pretty! I love sweaters like that! I have been looking for a knit that color (to make a maxi skirt) and now I know where to find one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you ever can't find this, just know that have stolen it. Love this. Mama bear

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for stopping by, you just made my day!
This blog if here to glorify the Lord Jesus Christ, so please comment accordingly.