Nathanael's - XS
Hudson's - M
Here are the doublets and ...blouses? What do you call a blouse for a guy? Anyway, here they are. I started them 2 years ago. The shirts were done in time for the Reformation Day Faire 2008, but the doublets were not. Now I've finally completed them.
I used Simplicity 4059. Both the shirts are made with an oatmeal looking muslin. The first doublet, Nathanael's, is a brown corduroy, lined in the same muslin and the trim is a brown braid.
The second one is a dark navy corduroy and gold "trim." I actually didn't use trim on Hudson's. I used a fancy stitch on my Mom's computer...2 years ago. :-) And you can tell.
Amazingly, they still fit rather well. Hudson's fits perfectly, but Nathanael's is a tiny bit snug.
Anybody have brothers that want to inherit a doublet and shirt soon? :-)
Here is the stitching around the peplum...
(click to enlarge)
As you can tell on the flanges and stripes on the front, the stitching is very uneven and sloppy in areas. Oh well, there was no way I was going to rip that out.
The back of Hudson's.
The only part I hadn't done really was the grommets (still not done on the navy) and the construction. I also hadn't cut out any lining, so I used black lining fabric.
Here is what the shirt looks like.
I haven't done any cool photo shoots with these yet because I have to convince the guys to put them on and I am working/drafting a renaissance costume for my little sister Emily. The vest turned out SO well. I can't wait to finish the out fit and show it to you!