Cherry Cream Scones
• 3/4 cups dried fruit
• 3 cups all-purpose flour
• 3 Tablespoons sugar
• 1 Tablespoon baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
• 1/2 cup cold butter
• 1 egg, separated
• 1/2 cup sour cream
• 3/4 cup half-and-half cream
• 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1. Set aside dried fruit.
2. In large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cream of tartar. With pastry blender cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
3. In a small bowl, combine egg yolk, sour cream, half-and-half, and extract.
4. Add to flour mixture, and stir until soft dough forms.
5. On a floured surface, knead in fruit.
6. Divide dough in half and shape into balls. Roll each ball into a 6 inch circle, and cut into 6 wedges. Place lightly on a greased cookie sheet
7. Beat the egg white until foamy; brush tops of scones and sprinkle with sugar.
8. Bake at 400° for 20-24 minutes. Serve warm