July 31, 2009

First Impression

I got a wax seal! I love it. It is so old fashioned and lovely. The art of letter writing has really been lost in our culture. Texting, emailing, the telephone, and the internet has all but squashed the heart felt letter. We want things, and we want them NOW. Everything is fast, we hardly ever relax and stop to think. Some people even resort to yoga, of all things, to relax and "empty" themselves. Well, I plan to improve my writing skills and write more frequently. To make it more fun, I got a seal with my first initial on it. Here is a tutorial on how to use a wax seal with wax that has a wick.

For beginners, you'll need to trace around your seal, but after a while you will be able to wing it.
Moisten your seal. You can use water, oil, or a pigment stamp that you would use for rubber stamps to make a 2 tone impression.
Light the wick.
Hold wax at 45 degree angle and drip on the circle.
Don't drip till you fill the circle...
this is too much. :)
Press your seal into the wax and hold for 1-3 seconds, then lift straight up. If when you lift up, it doesn't want to come up, leave it down till the wax hardens completely then pull up. You probably did not get all of the crevices when you moistened it.

Voila! You have made your first impression.

2 comments:

  1. Wow!!! That's incredible! I HAVE to get one! LOL!

    I know what you mean about the lost art of letter writing. There are at lease five girls that I write letters to regularly. We are old fashioned pen pals and I hope to never stop writing real heart felt letters to my friends!

    Blessings,
    Cassie

    ReplyDelete